Once I realized that I needed to make some changes, I went all out and included a change in my workout as well. I don't about you, but I get stagnant, at times, and don't challenge myself with working out after awhile. I get lazy and do the same workout, that is, I don't increase the amount I'm lifting or change the resistance on the cardio machine. I needed a shake-up!
I decided to go to the bookstore an peruse the workout books to get an idea of how to change my workout. Eureka! I found the best little book called The Lean Body Promise Book (gym edition*) by Lee Labrada. I perused it in the store and didn't get it the first time I was in there. But the more I thought about it, I knew it was just what I needed so I went back and purchased it.
I re-read the book and decided to follow the program with the exception of 1 thing. The main premise is to workout every day - no days off. Well, I think the body needs at least 1 day of rest so that is the concession that I made. I'm following the work out 6 days a week and taking 1 day off (Sunday). The workouts are labeled A, B, and C. Within each workout, for example A - there are 2 modules you may follow. Workout B has 3 modules and workout C has 2. You follow a sequence of workout A, B, Cardio, C, A, Cardio, B, C, Cardio, A, B, Cardio, C, A, Carido, etc.
The modules cover different muscle groups. For example, on Workout A, module 1, I'm working chest, shoulders, and triceps. When Workout A rolls around again, I do module 2 which are the same muscles, but different exercises.
Workout B has 3 modules, but each one doesn't have a lot of exercises so I add in about 15 minutes of cardio on that day.
On the cardio day, I do 35-40 minutes of cardio. I rotate between the treadmill, stairmaster, and elliptcal machine. Generally, I'll do 20 minutes on 1 and 15-20 on another.
I record what I'm doing and I challenge myself to use weights that will do my body good (i.e., not something that is light and easy).
So, I've been at it for about a week and a half and I'm still sore! Oh. My. Goodness! Yeah, I'm sore because I'm engaging in some exercises that I haven't done in the past. The tiny book has definitely been worth the investment.
*Upon first searching, I didn't see the gym edition which is what I purchased. The gym edition is pocket-sized and has photos of all of the exercises. I'm kinda curious about the full version, but not that much to purchase it at this time.
Monday, March 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment