I started watching the series I Can Make You Thin on TLC. The host, Paul McKenna, says that he can teach you how to lose weight and still eat what you want, conquer emotional eating and live a healthier lifestyle.
Yeah, I have heard this stuff before. People who have the magic formula for weight loss and healthy lifestyle come a dime a dozen. So what kind of psycho-crap is this guy going to sell me?
But as I watched, I found McKenna's Golden Rules make sense. While I don't 100% buy some of what he is selling, I think the main premise within the rules can be very beneficial.
Rule #1: When you are hungry...eat.
How often do you eat because everyone else is eating? How about mindless grazing, even though you are not hungry. Or even worse...eating and you don't even realize it. I am guilty of all of these and some others.
Rule #2:Eat what you want, not what you think you should.
Often, we have forbidden foods. We say "I'm on a diet, so I can't have chocolate, chips, chicken wings etc." What happens when we deny ourselves is we set ourselves up for a binge and the guilt that follows. Instead, we should enjoy our favorite things, not to excess, but in moderation. I don't believe one should eat nothing but junk, but I think finding balance is the key.
Rule #3: Each consciously and enjoy every bite.
We should enjoy food, not shovel it down so quickly that our stomach cannot catch up with our brain. When you eat slowly and deliberately, you will leave less on your plate because you allow the body and the brain to connect the physical and mental feeling of fullness.
Rule #4: When you think you are full, stop eating.
How many of you grew up in a "clean your plate" household? I remember hearing that it is a sin to waste food, so eat every bite. Why? If you are full...stop. You are not going to save anyone by shoveling a ton of food in your mouth that you don't want.
But the skeptic in me still said, "Yeah right...can I actually do this?" So, during my Spring Break, I decided to incorporate the rules into my daily routine. I don't know if I have lost any weight, but my relationship with food has changed for the better. (More on my personal experience later).
I began to wonder how many of you have issues with food. How many of you see food as the enemy? How many of you exercise and exercise and yet you don't see any results?
Exercise is only part of the formula for a health lifestyle or weight loss/management. One can maintain or adjust a fitness schedule, but the thing about diets is that you can't stay on them forever. As soon as go off the diet, all that work is down the drain.
For April's challenge, I want you to look at your relationship with food. Do you eat mindlessly, eat when you are stressed or depressed, or just strap on the feed bag, inhale the contents and feel guilty after the fact? Do you subscribe to the forbidden food trap or restrict your eating? Do you know when to stop eating or feel you need to clean your plate because of the staving children in the Third World?
If so...it's time to create a new relationship with food.
For this week, try to monitor what you eat and whether you are hungry when you chose to eat. Keep a written or mental journal of you thoughts and feelings. See if you can catch yourself eating when you are not hungry. Ask if you are truly hungry. It may actually be thirst; many people are often dehydrated. Bottom line....eat when you are hungry.
Of course you should continue with your fitness routine. If you have been in the Challenge from the beginning, you should be doing some form of vigorous cardio exercise 2-3 times a week. Hopefully, you are incorporating strength training as well. If you have fallen off the wagon, dust yourself off and start over again. If you are new to the Challenge, it's not too late to do something good for you.
OK Academics, good luck and keep posting!!!!
Seeking Solace
Tuesday, April 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Considering I have been forbidden to exercise for the next week (at least), keeping my eating under control is a good goal! Thanks for the challenge!
I've come to realize that this is a crucial thing for me to work on. Exercise is definitely important but if I can manage my eating habits, I'll take a long step forward with my health. Just trying to eat a fruit and a vegetable every day has already made a difference in how I feel and how I view food.
Thanks for this challenge!
You are both welcome.
I do think that no mater how hard or dedicated one is to exercise, it will not give you the results you want if you don't include eating well.
I really think all of us have some sort of food issue, so this challenge is definitely appropriate.
Good challenge! I don't believe in food deprivation and enjoy eating what I like. I've just had to learn how to eat in moderation. Can't wait to hear about how everyone does with this challenge.
Post a Comment