A doctor I was talking to this last week said I should strive for 6, 200 calories meals. He started off by saying that people need to look at food as medicine, not as something that tastes good. Then he went into the calorie thing and how that's a lot less calories than most women get. I'm sure he's right on that one. The goal is to eat regularly thoughout the day for nourishment. I get it.
I'm not crazy about that approach though. I don't like medicine, so food as medicine...Plus, I want to eat food that tastes good to me. So I won't be eating cooked carrots (that one is for you, mom) but I will eat raw veggies. I understand (before you all jump on me) that he is looking at people who over eat, or eat lots of things that taste good but are good for you. But without knowing what I eat, he was offering this as advice to me.
I mentioned the 200 cal thing to my husband who immediate said "well that's not practical." And it's not. I'd eat, when, every 2 1/2 hours? So 7, 9:30, 12, 2:30, 5, 7:30. On an average day, I am teaching 3-4 of those times. But I'm sure I'll have breakfast at 7ish due to when I have to get up and get around. What about days when you can't eat on a schedule like that? what about not being hungry then?
But what really bugs me is that you never eat a meal. A real meal. I like having a real dinner or lunch. I like having that time to eat with my husband and chat or whatever. 200 cal isn't a real dinner or lunch or anything. In fact research I was reading suggests eating nearly 400 cal for breakfast so that you can get going in the morning. Eating all these little meals makes eating (to me) seem like a chore. "oh, it's 2:30, I gotta eat something. I gotta make sure it's only 200 cal."
I lost weight over the summer when I ate three meals, and a little snack at night (gotta have the chocolate!). I didn't snack during the day, I wasn't hungry all the time and I lost nearly 5 lbs right away. (I just didn't stick with it.) I worry that we have enough food issues as it is and things like this complicate it even more.
Thoughts?
Cross posted at my home
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
My concern is that you are only getting 1200 calories. Is that really enough for you?
I do the smaller meal thing, only becuase it worked for me and honestly I need the fuel throughout the day.
I think if what you did over the summer works for you and your lifestyle, you should do it. Eating healthy should not be a chore. It should be as routine as brushing your teeth. If it becomes a burden, you may resort to bad habits.
Hopefully, your schedule will allow you to eat a lunch where you can sit down and enjoy.
that's how my mom eats. and 1200 calories? are you in prison camp? esp. if you exercise, I'm concerned that could be insufficient.
I thought the 1,200 calories thing sounded low, so I did a quick google search. According to this link http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_weight_sma.htm it's more like 1,900-2,100 calories per day to maintain weight. Indeed, 1,200 calories is the bare minimum a person should eat without being under a doctor's supervision. http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm
As for the small meals thing, I've sort of been doing that, although I do tend to have a bigger lunch and dinner than the rest of the times I eat. I think the thing is that if you're eating healthy foods and drinking a lot of water, it's just not possible to consume as many calories as you would if you were eating crap and drinking soda or other calorific drinks. I also find if I work out regularly I want to chow down less. Who knows.
Post a Comment