Friday, July 14, 2006

the good news is that i survived the trip

the bad news is my goals of choosing healthy foods and limiting my drinking to one or two glasses of wine while i was on my trip failed. not miserably - i did well some days. but overall, i could have done a much better job. it was my brother's wedding though, so i'm going to go easy on myself. although feeling fat and ugly in my dress did put a huge damper on things...something's seriously got to give here.

i really don't have more time to elaborate right now, but i just wanted to pop in with a mini report so you know i didn't die. since i was on a trip for one week and am now housesitting for a week i haven't had access to the internet on my own computer at home (the only place i feel comfortable blogging anymore). but i'll be back soon.

before i go i'd like to say a big hello to all our new members. i'm excited to see new kid, trillwing and all the other bloggers posting over here. i can't wait to read all the new posts and catch up on everyone's blogs and get my life back a bit.

Tags: Goals: Accountability/Checking in

4 comments:

RageyOne said...

Hey Betty! Good to hear from you again. Don't look down on what you've done thus far. Acknowledging the difficulty is half the battle. Go forward from him with a positive outlook and things will get better.

Seeking Solace said...

Woohoo, Betty is back!!!

Hang in there. Take small steps!!!

Anonymous said...

Can I make a suggestion? When I work with clients on these things, waht I find works best is making one change at a time. Cut the amount of alcohol first - and then when that feels normal (and you feel *successful*) then change something else. There are three issues with making several changes at once: first it is hard to maintain over the long haul because you ahve made so many changes; second - it gives you more things you could do "wrong" (that is if you are trying to make a lot of changes at once - that gives a lot of opportunities to feel like a failure); and third - this could potentially lead one ot feel deprived due to all the changes - and I believe feelings of deprivation are a big predictor of overeating.

betty said...

Hey everyone!

You guys are right - small steps and reducing my list to a manageable size is probably the best thing to do. Like other areas of my life, I tend to pack to many things on my to-do list because it looks so measly when it's small. That totally ruined me in grad school - and I'm not kidding. I NEVER felt good about myself because the list of To-Do's was always longer than the list of Have-Done's. I actually had to learn how to make a reasonable list as a survival strategy in the last months of grad school, otherwise I would have totally shut down.

So thanks for the tip shrinky and solace, I'll make my list shorter! Only one thing at a time.