Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Fruits and Veggies Challenge.....

I'm having a bit of trouble with the challenge this month. I don't know if I buy too much at the store or don't meal plan well enough, but my fruits and veggies seem to spoil before I can use them up. Anyone have any food saving tips for me?

Also I'm getting bored with my recipes. Please PLEASE share your favorites recipes this week! I've been very into limes this summer and have been using them in my iced tea instead of lemons. I had a few leftover and came across this recipe for lime green beans in Real Simple Magazine that I fell in love with. Enjoy!


Lime Green Beans


1 pound trimmed green beans
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 pinch kosher salt
1 pinch freshly ground pepper

Boil green beans until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and run under cold water. Reserve 1/4 of the beans for another use. Toss the rest of the beans with fresh lime juice, olive oil, and freshly grated ginger. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.

Yield: 4 servings, with leftovers

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spend $10 and get a package of Debbie Meyer Green Bags. I know I sound like a commercial, but they really work. My vegetables are staying edible for weeks.

Seeking Solace said...

Rubbermaid makes these containers that help keep stuff fresh too, like the green bags. I found them at Target.

Psycgirl said...

I've started to accept that I need to make more trips to my store for fruits & Veggies, rather than stocking up when I do my "regular" grocery shopping trip every week. I am throwing out way too much because I can't eat it all.

You could also freeze some stuff?

Karen said...

I'll check out the bags! Thanks for the tip. I'm also going to see what I can freeze. Frequent grocery trips are rough for me, since the organic grocery store/Whole Foods is about a 40 min (each way) trip, hopefully being smart about my purchases and finding ways to keep things fresh/frozen longer will help!

thanks!