Friday, January 04, 2008

Hi all...long time no see....

So, I've been really lame and signed on here way back when it started, but never followed through. Since then, I've moved to a new city and no longer have free access to a fitness center. While I live in a good neighborhood for walking, it also gets cold and snowy here, and recently I've wimped out. I was done with teaching before Thanksgiving this year, and I spent break pretty much sitting on my butt. It was relaxing, I did a lot of reading and movie-watching, but there were days when I never left the apartment. By New Year's, I felt awful - just stiff and flabby and immobile, completely out of shape and out of breath if I did anything more than walk from the couch to the bedroom. So I've decided this has to change. I'm not even thinking about losing weight at this point - sure, I'd love to lose weight, but I just don't want to feel so crappy anymore. I want to be more active and feel better and feel strong and have energy.

Anyway, today I completed my obligation for the week - I walked around the neighborhood (vigorously!) for about 35 minutes. It was fun - I like my neighborhood, there are a lot of cool houses to look at, and today I made the acquaintance of a huge black dog with bushy gray-tipped fur. (Well, from a distance - he was doing his best watchdog impression so I just greeted him from afar!) It helped, of course, that it's about 50+ degrees F here today. But I do have cold weather gear, and so there's nothing to stop me from doing this regardless of the weather.

So again, thanks for organizing this, Ragey and Seeking Solace!

4 comments:

rented life said...

I love walking in neighborhoods too. In the spring and summer I get so many garden ideas!

RageyOne said...

Cool New Kid! Good to have you back and on board. Looking forward to hearing more.

Seeking Solace said...

Yay New Kid!!!

I love walking in my neighborhood too. Plus, I have my pup who is always up for a walk.

It is tough to get out in the cold, but when it's nice out, it's a great alternative.

Karen said...

I really should walk more in my neighborhood as well. Thanks for the reminder to just get out there and start walking!