Monday, December 11, 2006

if I can just maintain the trend

I just got back from a walk - finally, something active in my life! (I'm slightly in awe of the fact that I went for a walk in 50 degree temps; I must be adjusting somewhat to these northern climes.) I always feel better when I make the effort so why is the effort so hard?

I don't own a scale - on purpose - so I can't report on any weight loss but I do feel like I've lost a few pounds. Some recently purchased pants are loose; I can barely keep up a pair of size 14 Levis; some old size 12 corduroys now fit; and I bought a nice new pair of size 12 trousers a few weeks ago. The hard part now is keeping to this downward trend.

I've started stocking only diet and no-calorie sodas at the house. I still don't find them particularly tasty but I'm getting them down. If I had to guess, that's the main reason I've lost a few pounds. My eating habits are still dicey; some nights I'll have an omelet and green grapes, the next night I head for a bag of chips, but I'm trying to stay conscious of what goes in my mouth. I had one plate of (very tasty) food at the holiday party this weekend. I ate the bread and the meatballs and the dip and the cheese - but I had a limited portion of everything and didn't go back to the table when I finished. I had a piece of something chocolate, too, and it was so sweet, my teeth hurt - a sure sign that I'm not going to indulge my sweet tooth too often these days (yeah!).

I will say, though, that I'm not going to beat myself up over any upward swings during the holidays. I'm going back home for a week or so and I know I'm going to eat all sorts of stuff I shouldn't but I'm not about to banish myself from the table when I finally get to sit down to Mom's cooking and Aunt's sweets and Sister's treats. I don't plan to make a pig of myself but I'm not delusional: I'll eat. I won't be happy if the clothes are tight when I get back but I'll deal with it as best I can.

Tag: goals

2 comments:

RageyOne said...

For what it is worth - I don't own a scale. I only weigh-in at my Weight Watchers meeting. I think if I owned a scale I would become too obsessed with the numbers on it. This way I limit myself to that knowledge once per week.

Yay for going down a pants size! That is awesome. Good that you are giving yourself some leeway this holiday season. Allowing yourself that bit of flexibility will help you with your overall goals. You are less likely to binge on your favorites if you allow yourself to have some - in limited quantities.

best wishes to you!

Seeking Solace said...

Cheers to you! Keep up the good progress!