So, Prof. Me kindly added me to this blog, ummm, a while ago. In return, I posted a couple of things, and then vanished. I'm sorry not to have been a more helpful part of this community - I've definitely been reading, and I'm sorry not to have been commenting; and I hope you don't mind me coming back to report on what's going on.
I haven't really been doing anything actively to get healthy yet. Classes started almost a month ago, and I keep coming up with reasons why exercising in the morning doesn't work (it's early! I'm not a morning person! I have no energy in the morning!), and why exercising in the afternoon doesn't work (it's the end of the day! my blood sugar's low so I have no energy! I have class prep and grading to do!). I'm also doing the perfectionist thing, in wanting to figure out the "perfect" time/activity for exercise, rather than realizing that any kind of exercise is better than none. I also haven't been being very careful about what I eat.
But I have made a few steps that I'm optimistic about. First, I got a primary care doctor (finally!) and had a general physical. I told her that I'm concerned about my recent weight gain and that I wanted to get my thyroid levels tested. As I said to her, I'm very ready to believe that the weight gain is about my lack of exercise and what I eat, but at least if I know it's not my thyroid, then I can't use that as an excuse. Then, ironically, she actually ended up sending me for a thyroid ultrasound, because there may be some actual evidence (beyond my wishful thinking to blame my weight on something other than my poor choices) that I have something going on with my thyroid. And when I talked to my mom after this, she told me something I knew but had completely forgotten, that my grandmother and aunt have both had thryoid issues. I haven't heard back about any of the tests yet, and as I said, everything may be completely normal and so I'll be back where I started, but I'm glad at least I'm investigating what's going on.
Second, as part of that checkup, I got a referral to a nutritionist, and I have an appointment with them tomorrow (I say "them" because they couldn't tell me who I'll be seeing - they're just "the nutritionist"). My insurance doesn't cover this, so I'm not sure how often I'm going to be able to afford to see them, but I wanted some professional help with looking at my diet with an impartial eye. I know it's not a very good diet, but I want someone to help me figure out what specifically I can change in a way that I'll still enjoy what I'm eating.
Finally, I have started a Pilates class with a friend of mine from school. It only meets once a week, so it's not a huge change, but it's good because it works the core muscles, and you know, I don't really have any of those! And it's not something I'd do on my own (I find strength training incredibly boring).
So while I haven't made any real changes yet, I feel like I'm in pre-change state and I'm kind of gathering my breath for the start. I want to make changes; I'm sick of buying bigger clothes and finding that yet one more thing in my closet doesn't fit. I'm sick of climbing the stairs to my apartment and winding up out of breath with my legs hurting. Today my back hurts (which has happened before) and my knees hurt (which has never happened). Ugh.
So, that's what's up with me. I'll report back when (if?!) I ever hear back from the doctor, and after my meeting with the nutritionist. Meanwhile, thanks for letting me be a part of this blog, no matter how delinquent.
Tags: Goal-Setting and Accountability
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hey Shelley, I re invited you (you were on the "pending invitations list" so I'm not sure what happened. Look for an email from blogger at your email address listed in your profile.
Please feel free to contribute any time or in any way that you see fit. I certainly haven't posted here in a while and I'm sure others are feeling the same thing..
New Kid - pilates is supposed to be awesome! Isn't it great to have a work out buddy?
Also, I tried once to go to a nutritionsist - but I was a grad student and I couldn't afford it :( Keep us posted on how that goes!
Hey NK! Good to hear from you in this venue again. I would love to hear how your meeting with the Nutritionist goes.
Any small bit of activity helps. Pilates once a week is better than none. Be proud of yourself!
Like you, I also recently went to the doctor, and after complaining about recent weight gain, I decided to get my thyroid tested. I haven't heard back yet, but I'm 99.9% sure that's not it. The only reason my dr. even agreed to it is because my sister has had thyroid problems. Ugh. Wouldn't it be such a convenient excuse?
Post a Comment