Monday, July 10, 2006

Walk-1, Ocean-2

In reading over BrightStar's recent post, I inevitably thought of my recent walking adventure. On Friday, I spent the morning on campus, typing up emails, researching funding opportunities, and waiting for a friend to call, with whom I was supposed to have lunch. As it turns out he overslept a nap, and my stomach wouldn't let me wait any longer. Around 1:30, I decided to relinquish my fully paid parking spot, figuring it just might be open when I returned (if I returned). I didn't feel like eating (alone) on campus. So, I headed to the local Pho bowl restaurant, and had a nice Vietnamese noodle bowl.

I brought along reading. That's what I have most to do these days. And, I knew if I headed back to the departmental computer lab, I'd sit and stare at my computer for the remainder of the day, accomplishing little. But, the restaurant was not conducive to reading. The music's not bad, just too loud. I can never read while listening to music. That's just me. I'm too auditorily distractable.

So, I drove back to campus, half hoping the spot would be filled, and it was. Ah, so what to do? It's only a short drive to the coast, and it was a beautiful afternoon. Heck, I can read on the beach. I parked, and walked along the coast, enjoying the sun, and the breeze, and the waves. I chanted to myself an old motto: look at the world with the wide open wondering eyes of a child, as I traced the water line in the sand, wondering if the next wave would fall short, or moisten my ankles. It was fun. I rolled up my pant legs, then again, and again, until they held above my knees.

I walked past rocky crags, admired the boulders of tar seeps (amazing!), investigated the tide pools, laughing at the tiny crabs, and gawking at the outlandish crustaceous pill-bug like creatures that skittered and scampered on the rocks. I walked and walked, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 45, nearly an hour. Then I sat in the sand and read for an hour, before deciding I should head back to the car.

Only... see... well, you know, I did consider, as I walked wide-opened-wonderingly, that the tide just might be coming in, rather than going out. But, I mean, honest, how much higher could it get? There was still sand everywhere, even if the waves moistened it... just a bit. Uh... yeah! See, I discovered something quite interesting in fact. When the tide comes in... well, it can be THREE FEET HIGHER! [SIGH]

I tried, I really tried to keep my articles, and notebook dry. And I figured, well, my cell phone is in my pocket right? I mean, how high could the water get? I mean, okay, so I can't actually see the sand, but that rock there, well, okay, so I can't exactly trust a leap to it, 'cause, you know it's wet and all, and it might be slippery, but how deep could the water be? It's just a step or two. I can make it. Maybe just to my knees, or the lower thigh, right?

... WRONG! [SIGH]... The good news is: If you go to the right place, they can clean out your cell phone and make it good as new for only 50 bucks. But what an adventure I had. Oh yeah... and it was great exercise too. Did you know walking 2 hours on the sand (and climbing craggy cliffs) really works those muscles?

3 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

What a great adventure. I love the beach!

Walking on sand is a great workout! Hope you are not sore!!!

BrightStar (B*) said...

oh my! two hours! on sand! And navigating treacherous waters, no less. Definitely a workout.

I'll be at your ocean (left coast) this weekend, and then my ocean (right coast) the first weekend in August. Mmmm... beaches.

RageyOne said...

:-) I guess the most important thing is that you got the exercise in!