Seeing as I'm far too sore to move from the couch thanks to today's bootcamp session (OMG, it was so hard!), I figured now is as good of time as any to write about it. :)
Christina, Diana, and I started the class six weeks ago. We spent the first few weeks focusing on individual exercises. There wasn't a particular routine; we just moved from exercise to exercise as instructed. I would say the class started at an intermediate level - it was definitely not for real beginners, but there was still some focus on the basics (mostly aerobic).
Three weeks ago, we started to focus more on core exercises and the instructor introduced circuits. That's when the class started to get really hard (it moved more into the advanced level) and has gotten progressively harder since then. The typical circuits go something like this:
Floor:
20 jack knives
10 crunches
20 pseudo yoga poses (like #7, but on the knees instead of standing)
1 minute of scissors
20 modified push ups (lower yourself into the push up and hold for 5 seconds)
repeat sequence 3-4 times
1 minute water break
Aerobic:
1 minute of high marching
15 right leg lunges
15 left leg lunges
2 minutes running in place
20 squats
2 minutes of marching with arm exercises (triceps extensions, bicep curls, etc.)
20 really hard lunges that involve touching your hand to the floor
1 minute of marching
repeat sequence 3-4 times
The circuits go on for an hour. He does throw other random exercises in there to change it up a little; I would say we've added at least one new core exercise during each of the last three weeks. It has gotten to the point in which the classes are fairly brutal - doing the circuits really fatigues all of your muscles. I'm still not at the point in which I can get through 100% of the class without having to slow down on some of the exercises. I'm about 95% there - it definitely gets a little better each week. The core exercises are the ones that get to me. I have a high tolerance for squats and lunges , but those jack knives and modified push ups kill me!
In terms of fitness classes, this has definitely been on of my best experiences. Not only do I feel like I am really getting something out of it, I also like the challenge (although we all totally bitch about it afterward!). I need to be challenged in order to keep exercising - once it gets easy, I start to lose interest. I also like that I have a set time to exercise every week. When I'm tired and just want to go home, it's too easy for me for me to talk myself out of going to the gym after work - having a time set aside for the class guarantees that I will have at least one good work out every week.
We have two classes left and I think I'm going to sign up to take the next session. Although the instructor is a little strange (he has a weird obsession with talking about his love for Cap'n Crunch and he referred to us as "warriors" today - barf!), I like his style. He never yells at us (I so do not respond well to yelling) and he's good about realizing when something is just too advanced and will quickly modify the routine.
If you have the chance to take a bootcamp class, I highly recommend it. You can be a warrior, too! Rawwwrrrr! :)
*cross posted at my blog*
Saturday, November 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That is so awesome. Thanks for posting!
Cheers to you for finding a great fitness option!!! Keep us posted!!!1
Post a Comment