Monday, February 11, 2008

Should I Work Out When I Am Sick?

It's that time of year when we are in a never ending battle with colds, flu and other forms of general crappiness. Many people often wonder if they should postpone their workouts or just suck it up. Well, the good news is that you do not have to be a martyr when it comes to exercise.

According to a Web Md article, you should listen to your body. If you feel sick, maybe it's best to take a break. If you have minor symptoms, you may work out, but go at a moderate pace. Also, you should allow yourself time to recover. Returning too soon can actually cause a relapse of the illness. Take it slow when you do return, so as to allow your body to adjust.

Don't forget to take precautions when working out as well.
  • Wipe down equipment before and after use. I suggest before because there is no guarantee that the person who used it last wiped the machine!

  • Wash your hand frequently.

  • Get plenty of rest.

  • Eat well to boost your immune system.

So, no more feeling crappy about missing a workout because you are sick. I mean, you already feel crappy when you are sick, so why make it worse!!!!

No comments: