Wednesday, July 19, 2006

ouches and outings

OUCH the first - Tae-Bo HURTS! I guess that even though I felt like I was barely doing anything, my muscles disagreed. It's good to know that uncoordinated, semi-kickboxing actually counts as a decent work out.

OUCH the second - my head is KILLING me. It's been hurting since Saturday on and off. I'm only writing about this because, like just about everything else in my life, it's an obstacle to me being healthy. In addition to the fairly obvious not being able to work out because when ever I move my head it feels like a thousand hammers pounding on the inside of my skull, when I have a headache all I want to do is EAT.

For example, remember how I said when I went to hang out with that Eating Out Friend I'd just get coffee instead (cheaper and less calories)? My head was hurting so bad that (I'm not lying) I a) forgot about my goal and b) my judgement was clouded. I did eat tomato with rice soup before (by Campbells - YUM!) but when I arrived and she had a beer I walked right into the cafe and ordered a beer (so she wouldn't drink alone, what kind of decision making skills were in use there?) and a baguette with butter. And - I ate ALL the butter which I normally never do. What was I thinking? And the beer didn't make my headache better (though I do think it helped me be sleepy enough to go right to sleep when I got home).

So, I have to kick this headache and I have to somehow remember my goals.

Already I'm in trouble for the birthday dinner this weekend too. It was orginally just a dinner out around here but it has now morphed into a wine tasting trip (I can handle that - I'm sort of wine-d out) and dinner near the wineries. This means I can't eat something healthy before and just order a small salad. I guess I'll have to hope they have some kind of grilled chicken something that's not a thousand dollars and drenched in mayonnaise.

Staying on track and having a social life is hard!! What do you guys do to control the eating when you're out with friends?

Tags: Obstacles, Goals: Accountability

5 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

Yeah, my muscles have been hurting from working out, too, but I guess we should just push through?

When going out, I try to eat half of the portion sizes the restaurants serve. I take the rest home for another meal. They serve too much. It's not what we eat, but how much of it, right? I guess? I've heard that we can ask for a to go container at the beginning of the meal and split it up right away when they serve it.

Also, I try to drink light beer or one glass of wine -- less calories. Mixed drinks are the worst for calories, which makes me sad, because I love them.

Seeking Solace said...

It is totally normal for muscles to hurt after a workout like Tae Bo. Try taking a NSAID like Advil. Also a cool shower should help too.

Take it easy over the next couple of days. Maybe you could try walking in the evening outside when it is cooler?

Seeking Solace said...

I almost forgot. The headaches and wanting to eat like a mad woman could be the signs of a sinus infection. With the weather the way it is, hot and sticky, conditions are ripe for sinuses.

RageyOne said...

Make sure to stretch! That will help get rid of the soreness.

I hope the headaches go away soon.

betty said...

Thanks everyone. I'm still sore - when I breathe out (intercostals) or stretch up (triceps and abs). But that's like a reminder that I did something, so I won't complaid too much.

B* - what a fabulous idea. I've totally heard it before, but I just never do it. I'll try to remember to do that on Saturday.

SS - I'm pretty sure the headache causes the wanting to eat a lot. I've noticed that connection over the past 10 years or so. I had no idea wanting to eat a lot could be a sinus thing though. Maybe the headaches are a sign og allergies and then the eating signifies....

Uh, sorry. That's more than enough I guess. No more hypochondria for me tonight!