Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Getting past those Head Games

Is it possible that all of us are in the same location in spirit? I am totally with B*, Betty and Seeking Solace on that whole not wanting to exercise thing. I think it is really easy to talk oneself out of exercising. I, like Seeking Solace, begin to talk to myself as well to push myself through the workout.

My workout routine consists of 40-50 minutes of weights (depending on the day) and 15-20 minutes on the stairmaster. I workout first thing in the AM. If I don't pack my clothes the night before and layout my workout clothes I sabotage myself. That is priority #1 for me. If I don't do that task then I can easily talk by myself out of going to the gym.

Once I actually make it to the gym, on days I don't want to be there, I think the time drrraaaaggggssssss on. No matter how many sets I do it seems like I'm still on the first one. It is then when I begin positive self-talk, similar to Seeking Solace.

I tell myself that I'm already in the gym, I should make the best of it.

You're already up, why not finish.

Just think how much better you will feel when you are done.

For the most part, that works. I just have to make the effort. I think, in a nutshell, that is the hardest part. The effort. In the long run, I tend to think about where I want to be and where I don't want to go. I want to be 10 pounds lighter and not 10 pounds heavier. For me, it is a matter of trying to get past those head games.
Tags: obstacles, goals

2 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

Thank you for posting this... it's helpful to hear how others cope.

betty said...

I'm with you on packing the clothes the night before. I have a way of 'conveniently' forgetting stuff in the morning if I don't pack it the night before. I did this just before I logged on and read this post. So funny!